Friday, January 3, 2014

Well….let me see….

Today is the first Friday of 2014… January 3, 2014

I just found out today that today is my parents anniversary they never told us when they got married, actually in all honesty they never talked about anything pertaining to them or their childhood.  SAD! Yes it is… BUT we have learned some things about my dad and his family his parents were alive when we were little so we got to know them a little growing up going to their house each summer. Can you believe that they had an outhouse the first time we went to visit them?! Talk about holding it until your eyes are floating!!! My mom's parents were both dead before we were born, I believe they both died of some form of cancer. It is unfortunate that we didn't get to know that much about our parents, we have asked and asked but…NOTHING! Every now and then my mom will say something or talk about her childhood briefly but not in detail. I know she picked cotton, BUT she was not a slave...I have heard her say that it takes two and a half rows to fill a bundle or something like that. Then she would make gestures on how you would pick it…But if you ask her questions she won't answer them. She also won't write down her recipes, which is sad 'cause she is one HELL OF A COOK just ask anybody that has eaten her food. Or ate at NAU or the church…or…I know her mom didn't take no crap off of anybody, at least according to the one story she tells…I know my dad started working at the age of 12 and served in the Korean War. There were twins on both my dad and my mom's side of the family…actually I can't remember if they were on my mom's side or not???? I forgot. BUT I do know that in both instances they died.  

It is really important that you know where you came from, it helps you figure out where you are going. If you have the opportunity to get to know your parents childhood and find out where you came from, DO IT!  You can't know where you are going unless you know where you came from. TRUE! My mom is still with us and I will keep bugging her and we'll see what happens. My dad died in 2003 11 years gone next month…it seems like just yesterday. Fortunately he still has brothers and sisters alive to tell the tale of their life when they were kids. If I don't get my mom talking soon….well. 

See ya when I see ya!

Peace!

Mattie

No comments:

Post a Comment